Monday, May 3, 2021

Values of Free Expression

 

8 Values of Free Expression


                    


The 2 out of the 8 Values of Free Expression that resonated with me the most were number 3, which relates to “Stable Change” (aka Safety Value), and number 6, which relates to the idea of “Promoting Tolerance.” For number 3, the reason why it’s important to me is because Spinoza’s TTP is similar to freedom of expression because it emphasizes and takes seriously the dangers when it comes to religious leaders meddling in politics. According to the TTP, it specifically states, “Religion leaders should not meddle into politics.” It has additionally been identified that granting the disaffected and disgruntled the ability to speak candidly implements the government to effectively keep an eye on possibly threatening organizations. Stable change is an example of wanting change for a certain issue that affects the wide majority of citizens in our society. A real world example of wanting stable change around a certain issue would be the Black Lives Matter Movement. The way that it seeks stable change is by acquiring justice for those black lives who have tragically passed away due to police brutality and all other racially motivated violence against black people. I support the meaning and purpose behind the Black Lives Matter Movement, and I want to educate myself and listen to what is really going on with the police department and why they don’t investigate why “bad apples” (bad cops) have intentions to become cops if some can’t even control an abrasive, exotic, and intense situation the correct way.

Aside from the Black Lives Matter Movement, I also want to start a club during my time at High Point University that advocates for better health for college students, and my club is going to encourage them to stop smoking and drinking. Also, I want to encourage the people who participate in my club to not fall under the peer-pressure of others and be their own person. This reminds me of the quote, “Don’t let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace,” because you can’t let unnecessary and negative energy towards you get you discouraged; it’s just not worth it. This can be tied to what type of friends people hang out with when those friends force them to do things like drive them places because they don’t have a car, and they pressure others to take shots at a party when they don’t feel comfortable doing so. Changing these is an example of stable change that can be implemented on the HPU campus.

For number 6, the reason why it’s important to me is that we as a people in today’s America want to be seen as the country where everyone is treated equally. This is fundamental to our identity as a tolerant people. Even though hate speech is protected under the First Amendment, it is still being argued about amongst scholars. One of the reasons why I want to start the club at High Point University mentioned above is that I want people to feel like they can finally break free from the bad habits they may have developed due to the fact that some people couldn’t tolerate them because of their identity and or their different beliefs.

 It’s all about identity (the identity of us as a people--America) and not wanting to draw a line that might cause us to no longer be tolerant, even if that tolerance is of extreme ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Presence on Social Media           I use social media to keep myself updated on things that are important to me: my friends; what they’re...